Authentic Love: What Would Jesus Do?


John 8:4-11
“Teacher,” they said to Jesus, “this woman was caught in the act of adultery. The law of Moses says to stone her. What do you say?” They were trying to trap him into saying something they could use against him, but Jesus stooped down and wrote in the dust with his finger. They kept demanding an answer, so he stood up again and said, “All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!” Then he stooped down again and wrote in the dust. When the accusers heard this, they slipped away one by one, beginning with the oldest, until only Jesus was left in the middle of the crowd with the woman. Then Jesus stood up again and said to the woman, “Where are your accusers? Didn’t even one of them condemn you?” “No, Lord,” she said. And Jesus said, “Neither do I. Go and sin no more.”

Thats the story of the adulterous woman and Jesus in the Bible. According to the law of Moses, such a person was to be stonned. But to Jesus, she like any other person deserved forgiveness. You see according to God it doesn't matter what you did; the weight of your sin doesn't count. He will either way still forgive you and take you back as His own.

But what about mankind? We live in a world where whatever you do, good or bad, they still going to judge you anyway. When you just slip abit, they are so quick to point fingers at you. Like hungry sharks in the ocean, people are so eager to feed on your blood when you mess up.

Christianity teaches us that we should strive to be like Jesus. Who was Jesus? To me he's the most unique person that ever lived. The most incredible person to ever exist. He was known and is still known to be the Messiah. He was kind and selfless. He was not judgemental. Jesus is love. God is love. Sometimes when I find myself in tricky situations, I always ask myself, "What would Jesus do?" People would always tell me am far too good. But just like every other human I have a breaking point too. I might slip. But I try so hard not to loose who I am.

Am not the type to engage in religious discussions but I made an observation that I would like to share. The church. I think the church should be one place that someone could find solace in. If a sinner wants to turn to God; shouldn't the church be willing to take that person through that process without judging? I mean isn't that what Jesus would do? The Bible says, no matter what your past holds, the moment you decide to repent God will forget about the past. Jesus is ready to accept you just as you are.

John 6:37 "Everyone whom the Father gives me will come to me, and the one who comes to me I will never send away."

So many people shy away from the church because unlike Jesus, the church instead criticize, judge and condemn. One would rather turn to a psychiatrist to solve their addictions or problems instead of the pastor. Because the church is never ready to take in someone as they are. Instead of accepting people as who they are, of what they used to be, we want to turn them into what we think they should be. Now am not saying that everyone is upright, society has its own laws too that I accept. But instead of always reminding someone of so much of a sinner they are, we should try to let them know that no matter if their sins are red like crimson, God will make their souls white as snow. God forgives. So should you.

Jesus had a golden rule. I like to call it a golden rule because I think its a rule that humanity especially Christians should keep. Care for others. Be selfless. Think of other people beyond yourself.

Mathew 7:12 "So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets."

That explains it. You wouldn't want any other person treating you badly, criticizing you or judging you. Just as much as you wouldn't want that, don't treat another human that way. Love your neighbor as much as you love yourself.

Lastly, lets talk about Authentic love. God is love. And that can be summarised in 1st Corithians 13 (my favourite chapter)

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.  If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.  Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."

And verse 13 says:
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

Need I say more? Practice what you preach. Always ask yourself before pointing that finger, before raising your voice to criticize or condemn; "What would Jesus do?"

Remember every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.
God bless!

Comments