We Could Talk About Sponsors, But Thats' None of My Business. Lets Talk About Them Anyway!



Y'all  will agree with me that 2018 has been full of interesting outcomes of events, one of them being women making the wrong choices. Personally I feel this has been the highlight of my 2018. We have been out here making all kinda "wrong choices", like what are we even doing?

Lets start with the obvious. Sponyo.

Who even qualifies to be a sponsor? I asked some people this question and these were the different answers I was given,

  " A sponsor is any man who finances the life of a woman for exchange for sex" 

   " As long as a girl is living a luxurious life from a man she has a sponsor" (okay?)

   " Any older man spoiling a girl with gifts and money is a sponsor" (am shook)
     
   " A married man who is sleeping with younger girls for exchange for the high end life"

 " As long as that guy is older than you by 10 years plus he is a sponsor even if not married"  (mmmh?)

Add yours if you have any. See, I have been avoiding this topic for the better part of this year because anytime I start speaking out my opinions am put off. Just like that. So I've never really had the chance to put it out there in full but here I am now. Those who never let me finish my points are going to listen to me by force. Shall we get started? 

Wait, did you know that in South Africa sponsors are known as "blessers"? Imagine!

Just to be clear, am not on any side on this matter. I am on my own oh! If you think about it, then most of us probably have dated sponsors before considering those definitions provided above. If any of those men fit to be a sponyo then who exactly is a sponsor? Am confused. "Sponsorship" has existed ever since I don't know sijui when, only difference is that we have social media right now. Every slay queen is busy out there documenting their "best life" and most of you especially young men are so bitter about it yaani!

She has a sponsor. So what? Is it your father or uncle? If not why does it bother you so much? I'll tell you why you keep being washwad every time you hear about sponsors. You are jealous. Yes jealous of the fact that a girl your age that you could be dating has been snatched away by a man who is waay better than you.

If you think about it keenly, this issue is partly a man problem. Men tend to be disturbed when another man seems to be getting what he wants easily and he cant get it. That is why young men think they are suddenly better than us and take it upon themselves to be the moral police. All of you are out here yapping left right and center how young girls are being over taken by sponsors yet 20 years from now I can bet that 70% of you will be sponsors!

Okay, having a sponsor is wrong. But only if he's married. I believe that should be the correct meaning of a sponsor ama? There's one thing that people need to understand here. Women while growing up are socialized that while choosing a partner get one who offers you protection. Not physical protection but stability. As in this man can take care of you. So why are we really being blamed for choosing people (unmarried) who make our lives beautiful?

Am not even going to talk about women who get involved with older married men, thats a story for another day. Am just tired of the fact that we are out here sinning differently but we have the time to decide which sins are right or wrong, how? I wont lie. I cringe everytime I hear a young girl bragging about having a sponsor and all. It is sad, really sad that some women are really yearning to have that high end life through the wrong means. I mean most of the time its just to show the rest of the world that she too can get it and they know its wrong.

But here's the thing, all these men out here ranting how sponsors will kill us one by one, are just upcoming sponsors themselves who in a few years time with their vitambis and so frustrated will be dropping young 20something girls every weekend back to their hostels. You want to argue with me? I have time!

Please, people make choices, they know it has consequences. So can we all make our bad choices in peace and move on? Thanks.


(photo courtesy: OMGVoice Kenya)

Comments

Post a Comment