When Mum and Dad Prayed;Something Good Happened!

On the 4th of December 2015, was the day over 8000 university students graduated from The University of Nairobi. The town as usual, was full with people from all walks of life. People from the village packed the city to grace the occasion as their loved ones where finally getting awarded that degree or masters

I was among the happy lot that day who were so proud to embrace that gown and hat. It was a wonderful feeling I say, and the love from family and friends was overwhelming. It wasn't just a day of cheer and merry, but also a day to thank the Almighty for the far He has brought us. 

I don't know about the rest, but personally for me, believe me when I tell you with God tables can turn. Nothing is impossible for Him! Days prior to the D-day, I kept on thinking about my life and how my educational journey had so many pot holes and hills along the way. It was never smooth. I repeat, that road was never smooth! It never actually occurred to me that in some point in my life, I would be getting a degree. You know these days a degree isn't such a big deal. I mean like how people put it, its like getting your form four certificate. But to some of us, getting that degree, leave alone just the degree, but also having a colorful degree (if you know what I mean) is something to be cheerful about. 

All the way from my childhood, school was never my thing. I hated school. Okay hate is a strong word so let me put it this way, I disliked school. I mean who loved school? It was almost every kids nightmare! But unlike other children, who never liked school cause of maybe the teachers or the boring routine; I didn't like school because at the end of the day, I left the place 'empty.' Socially and in terms of learning. I would understand what the teachers were teaching, but for some reason my mind couldn't master those Algebra and Sciences. Especially Maths and Science. I think even Greek could have been more easier to learn.

Half of my primary life, I was in an international school. So shifting from 8.4.4 to the international school system was not an easy step for me. I stopped learning Kiswahili Sanifu at class two, only to resume in class six. I mean even just as a Luo, Kiswahili sio mdomo yangu (Kiswahili is not my first language, but do I say!) So how was I even supposed to fall in love with it in the first place? But I tried.This shift made me loose track of other local subjects like Social Studies, Science and C.R.E. With only two years to sit for my K.C.P.E I had to adapt to a totally different environment, different methods of teaching and should I not forget, the corporal punishment. That's another story of its own. Within the same two years I had to cope up with these subjects that were left out. Unfortunately, I didn't perform well so I had to repeat class eight. Which was fine by me. I performed better the second time but not that well. It was just enough to enroll to a good high school.

It is in high school where most adolescents get to know who they really are. I can say in high school was a place I never understood who I really was.In a kind of way I had an idea, but looking at myself right now, I can say that idea was wrong. It was a confusing state for me at times. I would always question so many things in my head wondering why some people were created in a certain way and others in another way. But still, high school was the best place to be.  Even though I made it to high school; the only rainbow days for me was only in form one.Form one made me think I was a 'genius.' But the truth is it was my cramming power that lied to me. Okay so am not trying to belittle myself or anything. Am not really that of a genius right now, but I believe am smart. To me genius is kind of abnormal but if you are one, well then, good for you. When I got to form two, everything just went south and my cramming ability couldn't save me.

There are times I knew my parents, especially my dad lost hope. But because I have prayerful parents, I knew even though I had doubt at times, I knew I was going to make it out victorious. Every time my mum came for those academic meetings, it was always the same story. Teachers sung the same song.
"Put more effort. This is not good enough"
"Christine if you keep on like this, you'll end up a joker"
"Pull up your socks!"
"Your grades are worrying. Your graph is ever on the low"

All the time. Asked the question whats wrong and I never had an answer. Because the truth is, I never knew what the problem was. I always tried so hard. Extra tuition, past papers, exam booklets, consultations and what not. All of them and still nothing fruitful. I would improve at times but still it was never average. All the way my parents never gave up on me. They kept on encouraging me and praying for me. Sometimes my dad would 'threaten' me about repeating classes but never actually made me repeat classes. Thank God! I was once part of the detention group. You know that group that remained on closing day because they were poor performers? Yes that group. It was known as "DT" . All the same I never gave up. I kept on trusting on God for a break through.

I came out of high school with a C+. That actually made my parents happy. Something I never expected. Especially from my dad. C+ wasn't much. It wasn't an A but it was a great improvement from Ds and D-s. It was also enough to enroll me into a degree program even though it wasn't through JAB. My parents were determined to see me through education through thick and thin. No matter what. I made a choice of a course I wanted to do and enrolled at The University of Nairobi (the only university in Nairobi..hehe). Since I was in the module 2 program, it only took me about two and half years to clear my degree.

I did Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Sociology. Before you even question about Political Science, its wise that I should let you know I have no intentions of being a politician some day, but who knows? I mean I never even thought of doing such a course in my life. I just chose it and ended up falling in love with it. But still, I love Sociology more. It wasn't a walk in the park. Some social sciences ain't that easy as most people assume. Campus is all about self-discipline. You are your own prefect. No one has the time to monitor your around, even your parents. And that's what kept me going. My dad taught me self-discipline.

There comes a time in your life you have to control what you do, your plans and make critical choices yourself. Its in campus that I learned that I can actually dictate what I decide to take in and what I decide to leave out. Its in campus that I learnt that there is no right choice or wrong choice. My choices could be wrong to you but my justification for those "wrong" choices was all that mattered. Its also in campus that I came to realize that my thinking capacity was on another level. I used to be afraid to express my thoughts because I would fear being mocked for the fact that I could be "dumb". But with time, and giving myself room, I came to learn how to explore my thinking and also expressing my thoughts.

Its also in campus that I knew I too, like any other student was capable of getting As and acing those C.A.Ts like no one's business! I regained confidence in myself and was brave enough to build a brand new me. So earlier on this month, on 4th of December, I graduated from The University of Nairobi with a Degree in Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Sociology, awarded Second Class Upper Division. And am proud of myself. I did it on my own with of course support from family and intensive prayers!

You know when people say your past doesn't define your future? They were very right. Its so true, but what they forgot to tell you is that your choices do. Your past doesn't dictate your future, but your choices do. You could be a totally different person now from who you were before because you chose to make that change. I knew some day I wanted to excel in education, I wasn't the best but I kept on striving hard. Those who know me well can testify where I came from. I would give up at times but I NEVER gave up. And this is not yet end. Great things still to come in future. One thing I know is, am a success in this life. My purpose is yet to be fulfilled.

I believe in the power of prayer. For me I can say it wasn't just me. The conversations my parents made with God day and night got me this far. If it wasn't for my parents faith and trust in God, I wouldn't be where I am now.

When Mum and Dad Prayed, Something Good Happened!


Comments

  1. I am touched by this indeed Prayer works my dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats true..all you got to do is trust your Creator! Thank you for reading

      Delete
  2. God bless the wrk of yo hands...nd mind...lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and God bless you too. Thank you for reading

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring. I love the fact that you never gave up despite all those obstacles. You are certain about your destiny, and know your purpose in life. Its my prayer that you live the best life you so wish dear. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Collins..God bless you too. And thank you for reading

      Delete
  5. ilove your consistence soon you'll have my story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. Sure would love to get your story :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for reading. Sure would love to get your story :)

      Delete

Post a Comment