Let Me Tell You About My Father. #DearDad


I wanted new shoes some years back. The only option I had was talking to dad, but it was just too hard. So as usual I jumped to the next option, mum. This time mummy was not on my side. She insisted I had to face him. Face him? Did I do something wrong? I just wanted a new pair of shoes!

By then my dad was posted for his job abroad, but why was it so difficult to request for a new pair of shoes? Since I didn't have to do that face to face. So I kept on trying to think of a plan on how I would get new pair of doll shoes. Then I remembered, yes my latest school results! That would get him. I was in first year by then and oh Lord, I knew I was on the safe side. Checking my portal, they were not yet released. Argh these lecturers can be disappointing sometimes.

Plan A failed. Now what? Since it was just so hard for me to dial that number, I resorted to sending him an email. Imagine.

Guess what, it was still knotty for me writing that email. I felt like I was doing a test. A test that I had to pass if I really wanted those shoes. Is it supposed to be formal or not? Should I write dad or daddy? Is it supposed to be Hi dad or Hallo dad? I was confused. But the hardest part was the finishing part, should I write I love you or just God bless you? Jeez trust me I didn't know!

At the end of it all, everything worked out on my favour. Thank God. Actually with extra goodies..haha. Don't ask me how.

Ever since I was a child, if we wanted anything, mum was our smooth operator. She would sweet talk dad about it. My dad was the type of man who would stomp his feet on the ground and you will think you've felt a mini earthquake. He walked in the room and voosh! Everyone fled. In fact you would disappear the moment you heard his car outside the gate. If he summoned you, first you had to think hard; just in case you are guilty of any offence. Not that he was a bad man, you just had to be on guard when you were around him.

When I was in high school, I was always so excited when mum came for those visitings. If dad accompanied her, I was still happy. Actually more happy cause that meant I would get more cash. But still I would be like, oh no..dad is here. And I failed my midterm. Am in trouble. You know that feeling?

My dad was the type of man who would make sure he had almost all my teachers contacts. I know you thinking how uncool that is. Actually during those visitings, he would insist that he must see some teachers. That felt like those open days yet it was just visiting day! Sometimes I imagine how it would actually be if he attended those open days. Luckily for me he was out of the country during my high school days.

My siblings tell me that am the only child who had a birthday cake from year one to 18. Lets say probably I missed two or three occasions. They sometimes feel that my dad favours me too much. I tend to think maybe cause am always a good girl. Not that am perfect; I have my shortcomings too. Lets just say I try my best not to end up on the wrong side. To my younger brother, am his soft spot..haha. He thinks I always get my way. Sometimes he would even try to use me to get favours from dad!

To them am daddy's little girl ☺His charming princess.

You see my dad is that typical African father. He pays the bills, puts food on the table, pays school fees and provides all other necessities to his best ability. Not forgetting he would thoroughly cane you if slipped off his path(when we were kids though). To many, I already have the ideal dad. But there's something about my dad that I noticed not most dads have. He's not just strict, but he's honest. He will openly tell you what you don't want to hear. He's always full of advices. He can always talk and talk for hours and even if we would get bored with those meetings, we always take them seriously.

You know what ladies say about men in specs. Well, this man in specs is no joke..haha. Those specs really give him that serious look. That look a judge could give you and make you surrender instantly. Then his voice. Commanding. Authoritative. When he speaks, you either humble yourself or just shrink. You choose. What he says though, will leave you scratching your head.

He noticed that we never really approach him about anything. We just talk to our mum, even when we need something. And I realised it was affecting him, that he actually talked about it. Though till today I still don't know how to even start a casual conversation with my dad, there's one thing I do. Every Sunday after church, when he's watching telly, I join him. Just sit there quietly and watch whatever he's watching even if its football. We won't talk much or sometimes not talk at all, but that silent company is enough for me. It helps me get used to his presence. In some way I get to feel there's a connection.

He has really done his uttermost best to raise us uprightly. My parents are the only protective shell I have to grow up straight in this society. Especially my dad, the fact that he has really been hard on us has protected us from so much. Maybe I  could have turned out to be something else.

I've learnt how to be smart and self-disciplined from my dad. The African man says you learn how to be wise from your father. And not just that, I learn so much now and then. One last thing about my dad, he's a man of God. Do I need to say more?

So #DearDad, in case some day you get to read this, just know you've been so hard on me but am not complaining. Actually I really appreciate. Thank you for being the dad you've always been. May the Almighty keep you and never stop blessing you! I know some day you will tell your grandchildren the kind of child their mother was..haha. I love you!

Happy Fathers Day Daddy! ❤❤



P.S. To the man who will have the courage to ask my dad for my hand in marriage; just to let you know, he's a hard nut to crack, asks a whole bunch  of necessary questions and may always seem he's so serious..hehe. He's a good man though. The best father-in-law you will ever have! 😉

God bless!

Comments