Tuma Fare!



This one time I was seated in a matatu at the back with two other girls. I could tell they probably just clocked their twenties considering how jittery they were with each other. In between their chit chat, one of them receives a text, she rolls her eyes and shows the other one the text. They laugh and rant on how the sender must be so dense. But one of them comes up with an idea;

“Tell him to send you money for uber if he wants you to go to his place”

Then the other was like “Aah...good idea!”

It was terrific Tuesday, your guess is as good as mine.

Let me be honest, I myself was once a suspect of this typa trick. You tell him “Tuma fare” and then two hours later be like “something just came up”. I would only do this hoping he would give up and not send the money because most likely I had no interest.  It has become a trend, and money laundering of some sort. Think about it. Why would a lady just take you in circles only for her to tell you she can’t make it after you’ve sent her transport?

Back in the day, I remember a classmate who would live off money by just asking for fare when she was broke. Sometimes she would show up for that meet up but you would be responsible on how she went back home. If you are naïve, she would tell you her uber costs 1k and then after you part ways she would quickly rush to her bus station where she would spend at most 50 bob to get back home. She could give an excuse like she has to pass by a supermarket first before she goes home, in case you wondered why she’s not requesting for that uber immediately after the date.  The following day she would trick the next guy just like that and if you are unlucky, this kinda weather would be the best excuse.

A lady who tells you “tuma fare” has no interest or intention with you. It’s usually just a case of a guy being too persistent that she feels the only way to put you off is tell you to send in that cash. I personally feel guys who are too desperate are the ones who actually send the money. The foolish ones are the ones who get duped every single time. Where is your dignity? Si ujiheshimu nani?

Times are bad. And the usual phrase of “I need a favour” isn’t working any more. The small amounts she gets from “tuma fare” from different men is enough to keep her going for a day. Don’t get me wrong, there are the ones who are actually genuine they don’t have that cash, but a genuine one would show up and not try to act mischievous. If me as a person is meeting some guy for a date, trust me if  I  don’t have the cash I will postpone the date till the time I am financially ready to meet him. I would rather borrow from Mshwari if I have to instead of asking for fare. Especially if I really like the guy. There are also guys who from their own wish feel generous enough to pay for your uber or send you that money. Who am I to say no?

Bottom line is, if a girl keeps asking for fare, either she’s too broke or most likely she just doesn’t like you. That’s why you’ll keep sending that money and she will tell you some stupid excuse like “mum amesema nichemshe maji so next time” and you will believe her and send transport the next time she asks for it. Lol. If am to speak to the ladies who do this, I mean that’s sorta stealing money, if you know you don’t like the guy, don’t waste his time and money. Let him drift to the next who will actually respect his time and money. Si fair btw.

Anyways, this is just a reminder to f*** with people who want to f*** with you. Let’s only keep mutual interests/relationships please, sawa? Bye.

Ps. My podcast ‘The Entitled Millennial’ will be launched soon!

God bless!
xx

Comments